Week Beginning 4th December 2023
Another wonderful week with our Year 6 children, who continue to go from strength to strength. They have also shown great resilience during our assessment last week.
Important dates and messages:
Thursday 14th December 6p.m - 7:30p.m - Carols by candlelight
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. ” Colossians 3:2"
In English, we will be analysing the SPaG and reading assessment papers and giving feedback to children.
In maths, we will be analysing the assessment papers and giving feedback to children. Later in the week, we will move on to adding and subtracting any two fractions as well as mixed fractions.
In history, we will carry out a local study of St James during World War 2.
In science, we will be researching a Scientist called - Alessandro Volta (Electrical Battery).
In RE, we will be examining why there are different versions of the Christmas story.
This half-term, the text we will be reading for pleasure and also studying is our class book 'Machine Gunners'. To begin with, we will be reading the first chapter of various different books before then focusing on our main text. Please see below for the book cover and the strategies we use in our Destination Reader lessons.
PPA Days - PPA Days will be every other Friday and children should come in, in their PE kits.
- PE every Friday - Children should wear their PE kits every Friday.
- Project overview and Project homework - please find links to the relevant information below in the related learning section.
- MyMaths - we will be setting MyMaths tasks termly, based on the learning we will be doing this term. Please let us know if you are finding them too easy or tricky and remember that below there are many resources you can use to extend your learning from home. In Year 6, some children like to do extra revision in the lead-up to SATs. Because of this, we have added in a plethora of revision materials. There are no expectations for these all to be completed. We recommend completing one or two activities per week, with the topic linking to what we are currently doing, which can be found at the top of this page.
- For this term, the following are the topics children should focus on in Mymaths as we will be covering them in school.
Wk 1: Multiply triple digits and Introducing long division
Wk 2: Long and short division
Wk 3: Order of operations
Wk 4: Comparing fractions
Wk 5: Equivalent fractions
Wk 6: Ordering fractions
Wk 7: Comparing fractions
Wk 8: Multiplying fractions
- Reading books - we would like to remind everyone to have a reading book in school - this can be a school or home book. We would like all children to be able to share recommendations and reviews of what we have read recently. We are displaying books that we've read in the classroom to get children talking about the stories they love and to inspire others to try new titles.
- Reading records - All children should now have a blue reading record in which they can record how often they are reading. They will receive one raffle ticket if they read three times a week and two if they read more than five. At the end of each term, we will be drawing a raffle. There are activities in the reading records that can be completed at home for fun!
Miss Martin, Mrs Fakorede and Mr Slattery
Learning as a family in Jesus, through Love, Hope, and Forgiveness.
Matthew 19:26 “With God all things are possible.”
Below are some resources you can use for optional additional activities if you so wish:
English reading activities
English reading activities should consist of reading an extract or short story and answering questions. Guidance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Y_67GMkP4
- What are facts and opinions?
- What does an author do?
- What is inference?
- All activities through this link
- All activities through this link
SPaG – Spelling punctuation and grammar activities
- SPaG exam questions
Your username and password are in the password pack you received from school.
- Apostrophes – Demo 1
- Apostrophes – Demo 2
- Homophone magic
- Is it a noun?
- You should be able to sign up for free and get some free questions.
- Glossary of Grammar terminology
- Grammar and punctuation information- click to be taken to the document
6. Year 5/6 spelling list - Y5 and 6 spelling list
Remember, MyMaths tasks will be set each week as identified in the weekly web update. Please ensure that you do the tasks set for the week. Remember, you also have access to Timetables Rockstars, too.
Remember, the Maths exam is split into three; one arithmetic paper and two reasoning papers. The arithmetic paper is more calculation based, whereas the reasoning focusses more on the application of these skills.
https://myminimaths.co.uk/year-6-arithmetic-practice-paper-week-1/ - weekly arithmetic practise, very much in the style of the Year 6 tests.
https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/486/Y6-Arithmetic-Practice - practice arithmetic; select how many questions you want to try.
https://thirdspacelearning.com/blog/year-6-maths-reasoning-questions-answers-ks2-sats/ - List of the different styles of reasoning/problem-solving questions.
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/ks2-revision/maths-made-easy-ks2-sats-practice-papers/ - access to a range of free papers in a very similar style to the tests.
https://www.3minutemaths.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Quicktestreasoningyear6.pdf - Reasoning quick tests
https://thirdspacelearning.com/resources/year-6-rapid-reasoning-weeks-1-6/ - An excellent reasoning resource. You need to sign up for free, but then the download is also free.